Managing a fleet is not an easy ride. Fleet managers have a lot of responsibilities to take care of, ranging from the coordination of vehicles, down to the operational efficiency, cost management, transport cybersecurity and lastly, customer satisfaction. Navigating the fleet, therefore, demands constant attention, innovation and foresight.
In this blog, we’ll explore the main challenges that stem from inefficient tracking systems and discuss how fleets can overcome these hurdles.
What are the biggest challenges in inefficient fleet tracking?
So, what are the critical challenges in fleet management? The intricacies of tracking vehicle usage and the ever-important issue of transport cybersecurity. Both these challenges underscore the need for efficient vehicle tracking, which is no longer a luxury, but a necessity.
The absence of tracking systems or the use of inefficient ones can turn every day into a navigational nightmare, causing issues that can potentially threaten the overall success of fleet operations.
When fleet tracking systems fail, the impact is immediate and far-reaching:
- Operational inefficiencies: Vehicles are out there, but you’re unaware of their exact locations. This uncertainty breeds confusion, affecting your well-planned schedule. Moving without clear direction is especially tricky for yard personnel (cleaners, washers, fuelers and mechanics) and delays their ability to effectively locate and service vehicles.
- Poor driver accountability: Without real-time eyes on your fleet, tracking driver behavior may become worrisome. Imagine finding out a vehicle was used for a personal errand or a driver’s mileage report just doesn’t add up. A lack of accountability is a missed opportunity for optimizing your fleet’s effectiveness on the road.
- Neglected vehicle maintenance: All vehicles require timely care, be it to the tires, oil changes or a general mechanical checkup. Without efficient tracking, these maintenance schedules may throw a spanner in the works. Missed check-ups mean you’re unknowingly steering your fleet towards shorter lifespans and unexpected breakdowns.
- Safety concerns: Every fleet manager’s nightmare – unsafe driving practices that go unnoticed. It’s a maze of potential hazards, that can potentially lead to costly accidents or, in extreme cases, lawsuits. By recognizing safe drivers, fleets can reinforce positive behavior, leading to fewer accidents and a healthier bottom line.
The high cost on inefficient tracking systems
The consequences of inefficient tracking systems are strikingly evident in operational costs and safety metrics. A primary concern is the escalation in fuel expenses, now the leading fleet cost, which has surged by over 21% in the US. This increase is often attributed to inefficient practices, such as excessive time-wasting or poor maintenance, both of which are mitigated by effective tracking.
Additionally, a significant contributor to increased operational costs is vehicle downtime. Unplanned downtime can burden fleets with expenses up to $760 per day per vehicle. By adopting strategies like preventive maintenance and optimizing scheduling, fleets can cut these costs drastically, potentially reducing downtime by as much as 75%.
Furthermore, implementing advanced maintenance strategies – such as predictive or preventive maintenance – can slash maintenance costs by up to 30% and reduce unplanned service events, which are typically twice as expensive.
These statistics vividly illustrate the financial and operational impacts of not having a sophisticated fleet tracking system in place.
How to tackle the vehicle tracking and transport cybersecurity challenges
Technologies like digital key access systems play a pivotal role in transforming fleet operations. They provide benefits such as convenient access, easy management and quick response as well as trackable and secure operations with seamless integration to other technologies.
At the heart of our Keystone by Irdeto solution lies the integration of digital key access systems. These systems are not just about unlocking doors; they’re about unlocking potential and offer:
- Convenient access and easy management – simplify vehicle allocation and dispatch
- Quick response and trackable operations – respond swiftly to changing scenarios and keep a detailed log of vehicle usage
- Enhanced security – secure operations are no longer a concern but a guarantee
- Seamless integration – our solutions integrate smoothly with existing technologies, propelling your fleet into a new era of efficiency
Drive towards enhanced fleet management with keyless vehicle access
With the integration of these advanced technologies, we’re not just solving problems; we’re setting new standards. Say goodbye to the inefficiencies and welcome streamlined and effective fleet management.
Discover more about our transformative fleet key control systems here.